Job Title: Head of Finance
Salary: 38K to 42K
Based: Head Office – Birmingham
Reports to: Chief Executive
- To support and make professional and personal contribution to the strategic direction of Health Exchange (HEx).
- Be responsible for all finance functions and reporting in line with both the Charities Commission and Companies House reporting requirements.
- To provide effective financial reports and advice to the CEO and Board.
- To support excellent working relations with Commissioners, GPs, GP Federations, CCGs, PCNs and Local Authorities and other stakeholders.
Health Exchange CIC was registered in 2007 and launched in 2008. Our vision is to grow both vertically and horizontally increasing our area of business throughout UK. Health Exchange is ready to invest in 3 key areas of growth by protecting our current portfolio and by seeking out new opportunities, income generation, partnership and in the future, possible acquisitions. There are two main areas in which the company provides services:
- Primary Care Prevention and Support
- Primary Mental Health Provision and Support
HEx intends to deliver high quality, efficient, cost effective services, targeted at the specified requirements but sympathetic to the changing needs of its clients, commissioners and the local community
- Responsible for the overall financial management and reporting in relation to the company’s accounting functions.
- Work with the CEO to prepare annual budgets for approval by the board of trustees.
- Responsible for budget and cash flow management.
- Responsible for preparing monthly financial and management reports on a timely basis for the CEO.
- Assisting the Chair of the Board and the CEO to meet all legal and financial requirements of the charity and ensuring full compliance with Charities Act 2011 regulations and procedures and Companies Act 2006.
- Member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) providing advice and guidance on financial and contracting matters.
- To support the financial management of Living Well Taking Control a joint venture between HEx and Westbank Care and Support.
- Together with the COO and operations managers be responsible for overseeing all income and expenditure in line with agreed budgets.
- Preparing the annual report and consolidated accounts; acting as the main contact with the auditors; submission of charity accounts and other statutory reports.
- Managing cash flow and in conjunction with the CEO, COO and Head of Business Development to oversee all contractual income payments and Gift Aid.
- Together with the CEO manage all contracts held with commissioners, CCGs and PCNs.
- Manage the companies accounting package (currently SAGE) and ensure full integration where appropriate with other packages used throughout the organisation.
- Ensuring that payroll is processed on a timely basis.
- Ensure all pension payments are processed on a timely basis and liaise with the pension provider where necessary.
- Undertake one-off projects as required
- Manage the asset and risk register for the organisation, updating where necessary in conjunction with the CEO and the Board.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and statutory authorities (e.g. Charities Commission, Companies House and HMRC)
Education and Knowledge
- Qualified accountant (ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Knowledge of UK GAAP
- Financial and management reporting within a medium sized firm either in charitable or commercial sectors
- Preparation of monthly management accounts
- Preparation of year-end statutory accounts including liaising with auditors
- Experience of the payroll function and gift aid
- Experience of Charities and Companies House reporting requirements.
- SAGE experience (Preferred but for the right candidate, not essential)
- Good written and oral communication skills; confident and clear presentation manner
- Ability to communicate financial information in an appropriate manner for non-financial staff and management.
This job description is subject to periodic revision, following discussion with the job holder.
Responsible for overall supervision of all Financial staff/direct management of:
- Finance officer
- Finance assistant
Main Areas of Influence
- Executive Board
- Senior commissioners within CCGs, Local Authorities
- Other health providers and partners
- Other stakeholders and voluntary sector providers
- Local client/patient participation groups
Whilst every effort has been made to outline all the main duties and responsibilities of the post, a document such as this does not permit every item to be specified in detail. Also, the post holder may, from time to time, be asked to undertake other reasonable duties commensurate with the grading of the post.
Successful candidates will be subject to a DBS check and references.
If you would like to discuss this position further, please contact Ron Owttrim CEO (Ron.Owttrim@healthexchange.org.uk).
To register your interest for the role, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th November 2019.